Menu

Art and Animation

Roughs, Linetests, and Occasionally, Finished Works

It’s a bit surreal to consider that I can now market myself as an animator to potential employers, but I want to take this as far as I can and this is an excellent first step in that direction. I’ve already managed to score some paid work, so I’m optimistic that I can make something of myself doing something I’ve come to love during the time of my study. I won’t even count next year as “study” to be honest. To me, next year is my first official year in industry; I just need to outgrow my training wheels.

I spent the last couple of weeks working on this, and I’m pretty happy with the result. I could definitely improve on it, however. The tail is on the same plane as the back feet rather than in between both sets of feet, and the back legs are disjointed. I also wanted to add and animate a sombrero on the alligator’s head, but I just didn’t have the time. To be completely honest, if I had managed my time better, I would have more than enough time to fix all of those issues, but it’s still a good enough result if you ask me. I’m really proud of the front legs and the body’s front motion. There’s also a minor motion in the back leg that I’m proud of, where the foot leaves the ground and swings to the next contact pose.

Whammu Jones

AYAYAYAAAAA

I made this short video both because it was funny and because I wanted to test the viability of making a weekly animation. It took me 8 hours, give or take, to animate and another hour and 15 minutes to composite, bringing the total amount of work to about 9 and a half hours. If I had written the script myself, performed it myself, made it about a minute and a half long, and did more with the animation, I could make a good video in twenty hours every week. The lipsyncing was a bitch to do though, and to cut down on the work, I used my rough keyframes as images written on the chalkboard. Still, I’m happy with the result.

Earlier this year, our campus had a practice run-through of the 48 Hour Film Festival, and this was the result of that. We “made” submission by 10 minutes, but were short a few things necessary for a qualifying film. I did the composition for the animatics, as well as some inbetweening here and there.

Specifically, I worked on 0.07-0.10, 0.15-0.25 and I voiced Scrawny, the boy with the green singlet.